Also known as lip injections and lip augmentation
Having full, plump lips is often considered a sign of good health, beauty and youth. Whether you were born with thin lips or your lips are thinning due to the natural aging process, there are many ways to enhance them. Lip injections using natural fillers can keep your lips plump for months at a time. Every year, thousands of people undergo successful lip enhancement and are pleased with the results.
WHEN TO CONSIDER LIP ENHANCEMENT
– Your lips have always been thin and disappear when you smile
– As you age, your lips have become thinner and less full
– You feel self-conscious about how your lips look
– Having fuller lips will help balance out your face
ARE YOU A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A LIP ENHANCEMENT?
The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider lip enhancement:
– Good candidates for lip enhancement want to plump up thin lips or create a fuller look. If you smile and your top lip or both lips disappear, you may benefit from lip augmentation.
– Some techniques can improve uneven lips, the shape of your mouth and gum-show when you smile.
If you are in good general health, have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure.
HOW IS A LIP ENHANCEMENT PROCEDURE PERFORMED?
There are many methods for lip enhancement. Your doctor will offer you options depending on your aesthetic goals and recovery time frame. It might be appropriate to have two or more of these procedures to achieve the right look for you.
INJECTIONS – FILLERS
Fillers like Aliaxin® made from hyaluronic acid acts as a fat substitute to plump up the lip. One treatment is usually sufficient to produce the desired result. The results, however, may be temporary and require repeat injections.
WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?
Besides fillers injections many have found that permanent makeup can also help accentuate the lips and increase their visibility without having surgery or applying makeup everyday.
SILICONE INJECTIONS – PATIENT SAFETY WARNING
Silicone injections are an unsafe and unacceptable option to use as a filler. These injections are not FDA approved and often offered by unlicensed individuals and should be avoided.
YOUR INITIAL CONSULTATION APPOINTMENT
During your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss what you want to achieve. Your doctor will evaluate you for lip enhancement. Once the doctor understands your goals, he or she may suggest additional or related procedures. It is important to be completely honest during the consultation. It’s a good idea to be fully prepared to answer these questions:
– Do you have any medical conditions or drug allergies? Are you being treated for any medical conditions?
– Have you had any previous surgeries?
– What are your current medications and vitamin and herbal supplements?
– What is your current use of alcohol, tobacco and recreational drugs?
– What is your history with any noninvasive cosmetic procedures?
– What outcome do you expect from the surgery? What is your chief motivation in undergoing it?
Your doctor may also:
– Ask you to look in a mirror and point out exactly what you would like to see improved.
– Take pictures for your medical record, measure your face and use computer imaging to show you improvements you can expect
– Evaluate your health status, including pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
– Evaluate the elasticity of your skin
– Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
– Discuss likely outcomes, including risks or potential complications
– Discuss the type of anesthesia that will be used
YOUR TREATMENT PLAN
Based on your goals and physical characteristics your doctor will share recommendations and information with you, including:
– An approach to your procedure, including the type of procedure or combination of procedures
– The outcomes that you can anticipate
– Your financial investment for the procedure
– Associated risks and complications
– Options for anesthesia
– What is needed to prepare for the treatment
– What you can expect to experience after treatment
– The doctor will also share before and after photos of cases similar to yours and answer any questions, so you can make the most informed and intelligent decision.
What can I expect on the day of lip enhancement treatment?
Injections with fillers can be performed in the office with little to no downtime and minimal preparation. The physician will prep the area to be treated and may apply numbing cream. The procedure should take less than an hour in most cases, and you will be given instructions to follow once you leave the office.
Aftercare and Recovery
The downtime from filler injections is minimal. You may experience some bruising or swelling which will subside with time.
How Long Will the Results Last?
How long the results last from your lip enhancement procedure depends on the treatment chosen and your reaction to the treatment.
Filler injections results depend on the type of filler used. Some fillers last from three to six months, while others last almost a year.
Maintain a relationship with your doctor
For safety, as well as the most beautiful and healthy outcome, it’s important to return to your doctor’s office for follow-up evaluation at prescribed times and whenever you notice any changes in your facial implants. Do not hesitate to contact your physician when you have any questions or concerns.